Friday, April 15, 2011

Comment on a colleague's work

Eugene Lee's original editorial about the Airport security is a very thought-provoking critique.
However, I have to disagree with Eugene due to my personal experience. About three month ago, I was travelling to Maryland. At the airport, after removing my jacket, I was asked to remove my long sleeve dress!! When I asked the officer why? She responded that I just have to without any further explanation. I refused and told her that is not possible. As a solution, I told her I would not mind to be fully scanned through the Body Scanner if necessary. She refused my offer because of the scanner malfunction.
Finally, the officer patted me down everywhere for a while, and then decided that I am not carrying anything underneath my clothes. My point is that, I would have gladly accepted a “virtual strip search” rather than wasting so much time. I don’t understand how is a full body pat down less embarrassing than a full body x-ray? I feel more violated when some stranger harshly touch me down head to toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment